Information for patients and visitors
As part of our response to COVID-19 we continue to take precautions to keep our patients, visitors and staff safe.
Thank you for your cooperation and doing your part to help keep everyone safe while the virus still circulates in our community.
Our Emergency Departments remain open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Hospital Visitor Guidelines
Please note, in areas with patients at higher risk or receiving higher levels of care, there may be additional restrictions and precautions.
- Two visitors per patient, per day are now allowed to visit.
- Visitors must:
- Wear a surgical mask correctly at all times while in the facility. Children aged 12 and under are not required to wear masks.
- Not have tested positive to COVID-19 within the last 10 days
- Not have tested positive to another respiratory infection in the last seven (7) days
- Not have symptoms of COVID-19 or other respiratory infections
- Not be a high risk contact of someone who has COVID-19 in the previous seven (7) days
- Not have arrived from overseas in the past 7 days
Further details on visiting NSW Health hospitals and facilities, including a factsheet to download, visit the NSW Health website.
We encourage all patients and their families to speak directly with their treating clinical teams for further information and advice.
Hospital Visiting Hours
- Blue Mountains Hospital: 11am to 1pm and 4pm to 7pm *
Please note: Currently visitors are by exception only. Visitors to the Hospital are only allowed in special circumstances such as for critically ill patients, patients receiving palliative care, a parent visiting a child and a partner supporting a woman giving birth. Virtual visits via phone and video can be arranged.
- Springwood Hospital: 10am to 1pm and 4pm to 7pm
- Lithgow Hospital: 10am to 1pm and 4pm to 8pm
- Nepean Hospital*: 10am to 1pm and 4pm to 8pm * Please note: Currently visitors to inpatient unit/ward A7D are by exception only. Please contact the nurse unit manager for A7D to apply to visit on compassionate grounds, for example to visit a patient receiving palliative care. Virtual visits via phone and video can also be arranged.
Outpatients who don’t meet the visitor requirements listed above must contact their clinic or treating clinical team for further advice before attending their appointment.
One support person can attend your appointment with you.
Women can have two nominated people in the Birth Unit. These must be the same people throughout the admission.
Parents welcome 24hrs. Maximum of two people, including siblings, permitted at bedside during visiting hours.
Maximum one parent or carer permitted to stay at beside overnight.
One visitor or support person permitted for critically unwell patients, vulnerable patients and patients receiving palliative care.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Our staff talk directly to families and loved ones about specific arrangements, including virtual visits and in-person visits for some patients.
Nepean Cancer Care Centre
Nepean Cancer Care Centre permits essential carers only who must be 16 years or older.
NICU and Special Care Nursery wards
Patients are limited to parents/support person. This must be the same person throughout their admission.
Postnatal and Antenatal wards
Two visitors welcome between 8am and 8pm. Children can accompany visitors.
All emergency surgery and urgent elective surgery continues unaffected.
Those waiting for non-urgent elective surgery impacted by changes due to COVID-19 will be contacted and encouraged to reach out to their referring doctor should their condition in any way deteriorate, so they can be reviewed and re-prioritised as required.
On your next visit to our Hospitals, community health centres or other services you will notice some entries have been temporarily closed. We have reduced the number of entry points to help our staff screen all visitors, patients and staff before they enter.
All emergency department entrances are open as usual.
(click to download map)
- East Block (Building E) entrance (every day 5:30am to 10pm)
- North Block (Building D) entrance via pedestrian link way (on Level 2) from the Parker Street multi-storey car park (every day 5:30am to 10pm)
- South Block (Building D) entrance (every day 6am to 4:15pm)
- West Block (Building C) entrance (every day 8:15am to 4:15pm)
- Every day after hours access via the security entrance near the Emergency Department
Blue Mountains Hospital
(click to download map)
- Main entrance, near emergency (every day 24 hours/7 days a week)
- Administration entrance and Outpatient Department entrance (Monday to Friday, excl. public holidays, 7:30am to 4pm)
(click to download map)
- Main entrance (every day 24 hours/7 days a week)