The mandatory requirements that health students are required to undertake to attain compliance, prior to attending clinical placement within any NSW Health Facility is covered in the NBMLHD Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate Student Handbook.
All students must be compliant with the NSW Health Policy Directive PD2018_009 Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases
This Policy mandates that all students are ‘protected’ against the specified infectious diseases, at their own cost and prior to attending placement within a NSW health facility. All students must obtain a verification compliance in the first year of their course.
The NBMLHD Clinical Placement Unit works with their allocated education providers to assist in the verification of health students. NBMLHD currently performs student verifications for TAFE NSW – Kingswood campus and Western Sydney University – Hawkesbury and Penrith campus. Verification documents are provided to the education provider and forwarded to NBMLHD ClinConnect team for processing.
Students must ensure that they have completed the document verification process at least seven days prior to commencing a placement. ClinConnect will automatically cancel a clinical placement if the student has not met the requirements within this time.
When undertaking compliance verification students must provide the following documents to be screened by a staff member of NSW Health:
- Submit Criminal Record Check – this can be obtained through NSW Police or a Crimtrac Accredited Brokers.
- Overseas student on a student visa will be also be required to produce a National Police Certificate from their home country. Alternatively, the student may complete and provide a statutory declaration to the effect that they have no criminal convictions in any country prior to entering Australia.
- A signed NSW Health Code of Conduct
- Demonstrate vaccination compliance as per NSW Health Policy PD2018_009
- Complete Form 6 student undertaking/declaration form
- Complete Form 7 Tuberculosis Assessment
During the bulk compliance day NBMLHD staff will inform students of their compliance results:
- Compliant and able to attend clinical placement
- Temporary compliance for placements– the student must complete the outstanding requirements within 6 months to become compliant. Temporary compliance can only be assigned once.
- Non-compliant – students do not meet the requirements and will not be able to attend clinical placement at this time.
Students with a temporary or non-compliant status will be provided with specific instructions for obtaining compliance.
Student follow up
Students who do not meet compliance at initial verification will be required to provide additional evidence to the Clinical Placement Unit.
Criminal Record Checks (CRC)
Criminal Record Checks must be presented in person by the student to the Clinical Placement Unit within business hours. If a student is required to present their initial or renewed CRC only, they may do this without an appointment at the NBMLHD Clinical Placement office.
Student follow up clinics
Students required to provide additional immunisation history documentation must email from their student email address the documents as a PDF with their student number clearly identifiable to NBMLHD-CLINConnect@health.nsw.gov.au.
Clinical Placement Requirements
The education provider is responsible for all clinical placement scheduling and allocations. Any enquiries regarding student placements should be discussed with the education provider directly.
During clinical placement at NBMLHD, it is expected that students must adhere to the educational provider clinical placement dress code, the NSW Health Code of Conduct and act in a professional manner at all times.
An orientation will be provided by a NBMLHD staff member to all students on their first day of clinical placement.
Monday, 10 February 2020 10:29:22 AM