About Nepean Hospital
Nepean Hospital is located at the base of the Blue Mountains in Penrith NSW, Australia. Penrith lies on the Nepean River and is one of the fastest growing areas in Sydney. There is easy access by car or public transport to Sydney City and also to all the attractions of the Blue Mountains National Park, such as the Three Sisters or further west again the world famous Jenolan Caves.
Services include maternity, gynaecology, neonatal intensive care, emergency, diagnostics, paediatric, surgical, intensive care, coronary care, rehabilitation and mental health.
Also on the Nepean Hospital campus are a Tresillian Family Care Centre, Menopause Service, Nepean Cancer Care Centre, Diabetes Service and the Wentworth Centre for Drug and Alcohol Medicine.
Nepean Hospital is a teaching hospital of the University of Sydney for medical students and also provides nursing and allied health training for many other universities.
Nepean Hospital is committed to providing excellent care in a safe environment for patients, staff and the wider community.
The first hospital in Penrith opened in 1860 in the street now known as Cox Avenue . This hospital had 6 beds for in-patients and accommodation for the live-in wardsperson and his wife, who between them nursed the patients, cooked the meals, cleaned the hospital and anything else that was required. Unfortunately, after ten years of providing this service, there was an economic depression and public support fell away, making it financially impossible to keep the hospital open. It was closed in 1870. Patients then had to be taken either by train or by cart over a rough dirt road to the hospital at Parramatta .
A temporary hospital was opened in 1890 in High Street, Penrith. The first matron was an experienced nurse but lacked formal training. The second matron was a trained nurse by the name of Miss Emma Hawk. Miss Hawk also employed a young probationer nurse.
The new Cottage Hospital was officially opened in 1895 at Lemongrove (now known as RSL LifeCare Governor Phillip Manor). The Cottage Hospital was divided into three sections; the male ward, the female ward and the infectious ward. When this hospital was opened the existing staff transferred across to the new site, however Miss Hawk found it too lonely out of town in the bush and resigned.
The hospital committee then appointed the young probationer as Matron, however by then the Health Authorities in Sydney required that only a trained nurse could be in charge of a hospital. Advances in medicine and surgery and the better understanding of the need for good hygiene, had made the employment of women with experience but without formal nursing training, a thing of the past.
The name of the hospital was changed to Nepean District Hospital in 1926. Planning for the next hospital commenced in 1938, however the hospital continued on the same site at Lemongrove until the present hospital opened in 1956.
In 1981 a second name change occurred when the word ‘District’ was deleted from the title. Since 1956 several major additions and redevelopments have been made to Nepean Hospital to accommodate an ever-increasing bed base and the growing range of clinical services offered.
Friday, 20 October 2017 4:43:59 PM