Information for Visitors
WELCOME to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). We realise that having a baby in the nursery is a stressful experience for you and your family. Following are a few guidelines that will help protect your baby.
Please turn off your mobile phone prior to entering the nursery. Remember that the front door is locked to protect your baby. Press the buzzer once and we will open the door as quickly as possible. Sometimes we will be doing something for a baby and may not be able to answer the door immediately.
Please don’t not open the door for other visitors to enter
Please wash and gel your hands when you enter.
Small, sick and premature infants have a lowered resistance to infection. Germs may be transferred from your hands and clothes to your baby. We therefore ask that each time you come into the nursery, you remove any jewellery, watches and long sleeved coats and jumpers, and wash your hands and arms up to your elbows. Everybody must apply antiseptic hand gel before entering the bay, before and after touching your baby and when leaving the bay.
If you, your children or other visitors have any infections that may be passed on to the babies (for example: diarrhoea, colds, flu, cold sores, chicken pox etc.……) please do not visit the nursery until the danger of infection has passed. Please check with the doctors or nurse if you are unsure as to whether you should visit while you are unwell.
Who can visit?
Family and friends are welcome to visit, however they must be accompanied by a parent at all time. Only 2 visitors including the brothers / sisters of the baby, can enter the nursery at a time.
Other than your baby’s brothers and sisters, children under the age of 12 are NOT allowed in the nursery.
Parents, and brothers/sisters of the baby are encouraged to visit with you as often as possible, at any time.
We do however restrict visiting during the doctors ward rounds from 8:00am till 10:30am each morning. Please exit as the ward round is in progress in your baby’s bay unless you are feeding your baby at the time.
Visiting hours for all other family and friends are restricted to the following times:
11:00am to 12:00pm
6:00pm to 8:00pm
Rules for parents:
- You and your visitors must stay with your own baby while in the nursery. This protects your privacy and that of the other families with babies in the nursery.
- As too much handling may tire your baby and increase the risk of infection, we ask that only parents, grandparents and brothers/sisters of the baby touch and cuddle the baby.
- The parents room is an area reserved for use by the parents, grandparents and brothers/sisters of the baby only. No other visitors are permitted in the room.
- We will only give information about your baby to you, not your visitors.
- Quiet time is between 12:00pm to 2:00pm and 8:00pm to 9:00pm daily. During this time the lights are dimmed and, where possible, we try not to perform any medical procedures. This gives your baby an opportunity to sleep and recover. You can still tend to your baby’s feed and cares at this time.
- Please understand that if there is an emergency or too many visitors in the nursery, nursing staff may ask you and your visitors to leave.
Monday, 9 April 2018 3:17:21 PM